Metropolis Works > History

Metropolis Works History

Mid 1950s - U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) projects conversion needs to meet uranium requirements for nuclear power reactors

1955 - AEC invites industry bids

1956 - Allied awarded five-year contract (1959-1964)

1957 - Ground broken for plant construction

1958 - Plant completed

1959 - First UF6 deliveries to AEC

1961 - SF6 pilot plant installed

1964 - AEC contract completed; plant mothballed

1966 - Studies support operating MTW as a private conversion facility

1967 - Rehabilitation of UF6 plant completed

1968 - First deliveries to customers under toll conversion contracts

1968-1969 - Plant capacity expanded to 9,000 mtU as UF6

1975 - Plant capacity expanded to 11,500 mtU as UF6

1982 - Calcium fluoride recovery process completed

1994 - Uranium auger sampling system completed

1995 - Plant capacity expanded to 12,700 mtU as UF6

2001 - Re-engineering raises plant capacity to over 14,000 mtU as UF6

2007 - 10 year license renewal granted by the U.S. NRC

2007 - Expansion completed to raise nameplate capacity to 15,000 mtU as UF6


Home | Our Product | Metropolis Works | Our Business | Our Industry | The Environment | Contact Us | Press Room

Comments about the website? Contact the